Monday, July 6, 2009

And they say boys are hard to potty train...


So we had gotten the kids a potty for their 2nd birthday, I wanted them to open it and us make a big deal out of it so they would think it was something special. I am pretty sure by the time I got the wrapping paper off they had moved on to something else though, as kids will do. I didn't even know if I would start it right away, there is such conflicting information out there about when to start potty training, I didn't want to start it too early and then have us all frustrated.

So just last Friday night we had the potty out and I put it in the bathroom before bathtime and was asking the kids if they wanted to sit on it and go peepee. I took their diapers off and they took turns sitting down on it and fighting over it (hmmm, maybe I should have bought 2?) They were just playing with it after a while and opening and closing the lid, when I saw it - someone had gone poopy! I was so shocked I thought someone must have been playing a trick on me! I know it was Daniel because he had been on it the most and was on it last. My shocked reaction made him feel like he had done something wrong at first, but then I quickly went into cheerleader mode and made sure he knew he had done a very good thing. I don't think he did it on purpose, I think it just happened, but my positive reaction and his reward (high fives and chocolate popcorn) will hopefully mean more poops in the potty in the near future. I mean, think about it, that was one poopy diaper I didn't have to change. We are well on our way!

2 comments:

  1. Oh, I'm so proud of my little nephew!! I love his face when he says "yucky, yucky!". and then his excited high fives! Hopefully, there will be lots more of that!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hooray Daniel! You'll have to teach Braden how to use the potty in a few years. Way to go!

    ReplyDelete